And, as soon as I completed it, the weather got too warm to wear it - so I'll take the credit for that too.
Aaaaaaanyway. Finished a bit over a week ago, but then I took out the zipper and reinserted it for the millionth time and I think that was worth it. This dress is a cautionary tale about taking shortcuts in sewing. The photos don't show up all the errors in a glaring way, but see if you can see them anyway.
I mentioned in the original post how the sizing of this dress was a bit generous. As I was making it I thought if I took it in at the sides I'd have to first undo a lot of the insert, including the handsewing, so genius that I am I took it in at the back, hacking away at it. As a result, I'm not happy with the dress. It's a shame, because the pattern is great and it should be a really flattering outfit. I'm tempted to purchase the same fabric again and re-make it again from scratch, before making it up in some more expensive fabric that I have earmarked for this project. But then again, maybe it really is OK. I am still learning after all. And this was a great learning process.
Here's the back view - see if you can see the worst errors:
All in all it is still a nice dress I think, and one I can wear to work. If you're interested, it's V8409 using Sophia doubleknit fabric.
I'm grateful to Marina for being the catalyst and inspiration for me finishing this dress after getting a bit despondent about it. I'm also grateful to Gretchen for being the creative muse - I probably would never have discovered or tried this pattern if it weren't for having seen her version when she did it.