Sunday 20 November 2011

Vivian at the Polo

Lady at polo match:  Edward is our most eligible bachelor, everyone is trying to land him.  
Vivian:  Oh, I'm not trying to land him, I'm just using him for sex.


Not long after Pretty Woman came out in 1990, I was working in a chain store and they did a knockoff of that dress Vivian wore to the polo match.  I bought one and I think I loved it to death.  It wasn't even a very true copy - it was red and in maxi length.  But I think I wore it until it fell apart.

And I've wanted another for ages.  So a couple of months ago I scoured for patterns and found one that I thought would make a good version of it.  Jewel neckline, cutaway armholes, slightly blousy in the bodice, not too much flare in the skirt.  Then I hunted for fabric - more difficult than you'd think to find brown with polka dots.  It's a little heavier than I would have wanted (I think the real one is like a silk crepe de chine maybe?) but it works ok.



I am so proud of this outfit.  I had to go hunting for the belt too - not an exact copy but good enough.  I don't have the bag!  I got very lucky with the gloves.  I was headed to my local vintage store, but decided to go to the markets nearby and hit the jackpot bigtime.  Just a basic hat that I trimmed.

I wore this dress on Melbourne Cup day.  Lots of people commented "Oh, that's the Pretty Woman dress!"  and I just love that it's recognisable like that.




I think it's a flattering and classy dress in its own right, even though it's got its story.  What do you think about wearing iconic dresses like this one?  What famous/iconic dress is on your wishlist?

4 comments:

  1. I think its a fabulous dress and indeed you should be very proud. I love that you set yourself such a mission and followed it through. And what reward when people make lovely comments, let alone recognise your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a very sweet dress. I like the idea of wearing iconic pieces- its fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray Janene! You are my first ever commenter!!!!

    Thanks for the compliments! And thank you Don!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same Spleen. I try to act like in the original scenes:-)))
    Very good!

    ReplyDelete